By Gaurav Sharma In Search Engine Optimization
- This is going to be long and vivid.
- Every website owner seeks for a better SEO and would like to drive maximum traffic from organic results. SEO is becoming more challenging with Google updates to stop SPAM. The Google’s Panda, Penguin and Hummingbird update have changed everything in past 1 year.
- Here, I am going to share my knowledge and experience with this complete website SEO guide for safe and quality work to enhance your website ranks after recent Google’s updates!
- Below is a brief table that lights on the tactics that people followed before and should follow after Google Penguin, Panda & Hummingbird Update.
Old Tactics (Before Penguin, Panda & Hummingbird Update)
New Tactics (After Penguin, Panda & Hummingbird Update)
|Less On-Page optimization||More On-Page optimization|
|Exact match anchor text||Site structure|
|Keywords stuffing in body content with strong tags||Navigation|
|Number of links is proportional to Good Rank||URL structure|
|Exact match anchor text||Internal linking|
|Poor, thin and duplicate content||Unique and attractive content|
|Link exchange||Authorship Markup|
|Paid links||Publisher Markup|
|Link farm||Schema – Structured data|
|Link wheel||Social Media meta tags|
|Extensive directory submission||Page speed|
|Extensive bookmarking||HTTP headers|
|Spun content||Internal site duplicity|
|Seeking only dofollow links||Pagination|
|Video on site|
|Blah Blah Blah…||Blog on site|
|Good link profile|
|Avoid Google Penalty|
|Follow Google Webmaster guidelines|
|Quality or authority links + social signal + Branding + Reputation Results Good rank|
|Dofollow/Nofollow links both have values|
|Social media presence|
|Outreach – Infographic, Broken link building, video, Content|
- The above new tactics are just in brief but don’t worry, I am going to explain them in detail.
- I have mentioned 30+ points in new tactics of SEO and the first question that strikes is “Is it important to cover all these points and if yes then which is more prior”, my answer would be definitely yes. All these points are important if you want to drive maximum traffic organically.
- Now, tighten your seat belt, this will going to be a fun ride. :-P
Starts with On-Page
- Targeted page
- Keyword rich unique content:
- Unique content is necessary to a webpage and this helps search engines to understand it. Search engine crawler’s analyses according to the words and reflects in SERP with the appropriate query.
- The targeted webpage should be of minimum 300 words and enriched with keywords. The keyword density should be about 3-4% and placed in such a manner that it looks attractive to users and easy to understand
- Page URL
- SEO is all about optimizing your site with appropriate keywords and tell google by any means that these are your keywords. So SEO people always try to put keywords where ever Google thinks it’s important. Thus, having page URL with main targeted keyword is very beneficial.
- Title and Meta description with appropriate keywords
- Title is very important part of your web page. It’s same as name of your book which should be very attractive and catch everyone’s attraction. Having keywords in your title is a strong signal to the search engines that what your site contains. The title should be conversational and tells about the page within 48 - 62 characters (including space). Google has changed his design and thus reduces the size from 70 characters. It is more often seen that Google is considering pixels instead of a fix amount of characters shown in Google SERP.
- Presence of your brand name in title should be noted. Google is more emphasized on Brand instead of specific keywords.
- The Meta description is an overview of your page and describes in 157 characters (with space) which is also reduced by early change in Google design. Your description should contain the keywords with brand name which is actually recommended by SEO experts.
- Images with title/alt tag
- Images are hard to understand by search engines. So to tell Google about the images, we have to add ALT and Title attribute to the img tag. Through this Google can understand that it’s an image of cake or pudding.
- Add some unique images to the target pages and give alt tag as your keyword. Sometime people chose to put textual images on site which is completely wrong, images should be placed wherever is necessary and should not be replaced text.
- H tags
- H tags are heading tags and these are next more important thing that Google take cares of. It emphasizes the text and best recommended to use your keywords in H1, H2, H3 tags.
- Canonical tag
- Canonical tag is used to tell google that amongst duplicate pages the href page is the original page. Thus it avoids duplicity and helps you to get rid of Google panda which concerns low quality and duplicate content.
- Robots tag
- The robots tag tells search engine that whether or not they have to crawl it or not. The Meta robots tag should be index and follow to make the page crawl and indexed properly.
- Internal linking
- The pages should be well connected and if you have some information present in other page than link it properly with correct anchor text. Wikipedia is a great example of internal linking.
- Excessive and inappropriate internal linking is harmful. So if you link any page than make sure it has some value.
- Page speed
- The page speed should be high because no one likes to wait too much. Your page should load in minimum time and consume less space. This is a chief ranking factor. You can check your web page speed at Google page Speed insight tool. You have to fix the issues pointed in red or yellow accordingly. The major things to consider in page speed are as follows
- 1) Gzip compression enabled
- 2) Minify CSS
- 3) Minify HTML
- 4) Minify Java script5) Avoid redirects
- 6) Leverage browser caching
- 7) Reduce server response time
- 8) View port size
- If these points are well covered than your page sped can be increased by 60% percent and can be easily reach to 85+. You can learn more about the above 8 points in my upcoming blogs on “how to increase page download speed” which is probably going to publish by end of the month.
- Sitewide Pages
- Site Architecture:
- The website architecture should be well organized so that all pages, categories, sub categories, tags are ordered. Silo architecture enables grouping all related information into separate blocks. Thus it’s easy to understand and explains everything in short
- The below example can help you to understand the role of site architecture in search engine ranking
- One site has a disjointed array or an unordered group than it’s definitely not easy to understand the categories or pages which confuse us. This result to fall of rank or it won’t ever rank on any search engines. On other hand a site has a joint array or an ordered group where everything is well defined than it makes it easy to understand and search engines would love to crawl it which in turn pushes the site on SERP.
- URL Structure
- URL structure is something that tells you about the page and should be well defined. It actually tells the location of your information and plays a vital role to in search engine ranking.
- The URL’s are of two types:
- 1) Dynamic: the dynamic URL contains “?” and some session IDs or page IDs. This makes it hard for users to understand and remember. Even to search engines like Google, “?” and session ID’s makes everything tough. Thus it’s good to avoid dynamic URL’s or else you should understand the parameter handling to make it easy for Google. The Best method is to change the dynamic URL to static one but if it’s not possible than learn parameter handling to let search engines understand your page and more often index it properly.
- Example: Dynamic URL /product/foo-widget?storeID=123
- 2) Static: Static page do not contain any parameters or IDs they are simple to read and understand.
- Example: Static URL
- http://www.example.com/product/product-name-is-xxx/Orhttp://www.example.com/category/sub-category/name-of-the-service/Here in between the words hyphen “-” is used but sometime you will see underscore “_” in some websites. The best preferred is hyphen because search engine consider underscore as a connector and hyphen as a separator. So if you use underscore “_” thanhttp://www.example.com/my_style_blog/Google will read above URL as “www” “example” “.com” & “mystyleblog”. On other handhttp://www.example.com/my-style-blog/Hyphen URL can be read as “www”, “example”, “.com”, “and my”, “style”, “blog” which is more appropriate and looks good.
- Redirects are mainly 301, 302 and meta refresh. The 301 redirects are called permanent redirects , 302 redirects are temporary redirects and meta refresh executes on page level rather than server level. In 301 redirect the domain or webpage completely move to some other domain or page and complete Page Rank passes to other domain/page. In 302 redirect the domain/page moves to other domain/page for a particular period of time and it passes 0% PR juice. Lastly, meta refresh executes and shows 5 sec countdown, this is usually slower and not recommended in SEO
- Generally a website opens in www version, non-www version and /index.php (if it’s in PHP), than it’s important to put redirects so that only one version of your site opens to user.
- Moreover, it’s better not to use any redirect until and unless it’s important because it may affect your page loading speed which is also a chief factor of ranking
- Site Navigation
- A good Navigation is accessing a part without hassle and connects everything in a well fashioned. Site navigation helps not just to users to find their stuff but to search engines who love the site with ease of navigation The URL also reflects the structure likehttp://www.example.com/category/sub-category/name-of-the-service-or-product
- You can improve the site navigation by using breadcrumbs. The breadcrumb navigation on site has its unique benefits like passing PR juice and many more.
- HTTP headers
- HTTP headers come in advanced SEO and play an important role to your website. Every single HTTP header has its unique use and I am not going to cover it now but surely I will post a blog soon specifically on HTTP headers.There are many http headers but few are chief which are as follows.
- 1) Status- It gives you immediate feedback on the status of the requested resource.
- Examples:HTTP/1.1 200 OKHTTP/1.1 301 Moved PermanentlyHTTP/1.1 404 Not Found2) Server- It gives us the name of the server.Examples:Server: Apache/2.2.23 (Unix)Server: nginxServer: Microsoft-IIS/7.03) Location- It tells you the absolute URL locationExamples:Location: http://theninehertz.com/Location: http://www.example.com/product/index.jsp?categoryId=2255956Location: http://www.google.com/
- 4) Link- it helps in avoiding duplicity
- Link: <http://www.example.com/your-page>; rel=”canonical”
- Link: </feed>; rel=”alternate”
- 5) X-Robots-Tag- It controls search engine bots to index/follow any page
- X-Robots-Tag: noindex
- X-Robots-Tag: googlebot: nofollow
- X-Robots-Tag: unavailable_after: 20 Jun 2012 18:00:00 EST
- 6) If modified since- Helps in increasing bandwidth
- Last-Modified: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 06:28:04 GMT
SEO - Popcorn Break
- I think you should now take a break because there is a lot more to come and to digest. I have tried to cover everything in short and sweet but SEO is a big shark you have be patient to go thoroughly.
- If you have any query to above or any suggestions, contact us at email@example.com