Apple iOS 12 Screen Time Feature – All You Need Know
Written by Hemendra Singh on June 21, 2018 | Updated on: June 21, 2018
Apple is bringing much-awaited tools for its user to balance their screen on and off time. Starting this year, Google and Apple are endorsing digital wellness and caring for their users by managing their time. How much time does an individual spend on his/her smartphone? No one knows actually like these days we are occupied with all kind of devices. Thus, Apple’s iOS 12 came up with screen time iOS 12 feature.
Telling user how much they have spent time on their smartphone. Apple does not want its users to have an addiction to their devices and forget their day-to-day work or spend endless time on mobile phones using various apps.
Earlier this year, Google displayed its new Android P feature that aids users with a greater understanding of how they are using or spending time on smartphones. Similarly, Apple came up with its screen time feature in iOS 12. It tells you which app you have used for how long and the number of times you have unlocked your phone or picked up your phone.
Apart from this, which app is sending you the most push notifications is also you can measure in this feature. It gives you a sense of better time management and lets you overcome the addiction of phone with the “App Limits” and “Downtime” feature.
What are the advantages of iOS 12 Screen Time feature:
- You can set the time limit for a particular app. This feature is best when you are using social media apps, which eats significant time of youngsters.
- It will notify you when you reach your time limit. iOS 12 will display a message “You’ve reached your limit” and will splash screen and make the app icon grey.
- With this feature, you get a weekly report or check today’s option to view app usage time, notifications and device pickups.
- This tool is great for kids, as you can use Apple Ids to set up Screen time for your children to limit their device usage time.
- Set Downtime like bedtime, when apps and notifications will be in a block state. The user can choose the app on or off time and which apps are to be blocked.
- “Always allowed” option lets you use essential apps like messaging or education apps to be used in the Downtime also.
How to use Screen Time Feature in iOS devices?
It is very easy to enable screen time feature in your iPhone or iPad. Follow these steps and leverage the benefits of this feature.
- Go to “Settings”.
- Tap or click on “Screen Time”.
- Tap your device at the top of the screen or page, you will be able to see the last 7 days or current day screen time data.
What is new in iOS 12 is ‘Pickups’ and ‘Notifications data’. The user will be able to analyze the total picks, a graph, a window for your heaviest apps use and many more.
Well, it is a good start for saving humans from turning out to be the slaves of the devices. Afterall we should have the control over them. Surely, this feature will help users to analyze themselves and make a better time scheduling for themselves.
For more app industry updates, refer to our Blog section.
My name is Hemendra Singh. I am Managing Director and co-founder of The NineHertz, a Mobile App Development Company. I am having a keen interest in the latest trends and technologies that are emerging in different domains. Being an entrepreneur in the field of IT sector, it becomes my responsibility to aid my audience with the knowledge of latest trends in the market.